http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy210/westonjenny/Little%20Things%20Blog/BESTHEARTEDIT.jpg

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

my Ta Da List

I am a list person. I love to cross things off a list because it makes me feel like I have accomplished something. But it is starting to backfire.

I have been waiting for school to start so that I would have time to get to my "to do list." Now that school is here, I am STILL having a hard time getting to that list. Then I feel guilty and unproductive because I haven't crossed off a single thing.

But a great thing happened. I watched a segment on Studio 5 this morning about this very thing. Here's what they said about the dreaded "to do list."

There's nothing wrong with keeping a "To Do" list. Writing down errands, chores, and other things that you'd like to accomplish on a list can be a helpful tool, especially in remembering the details. The trouble with "To Do" lists is not that we use them, but how we use them. In my practice and in my women's workshops I often hear individuals complain of feeling "not good enough" or thinking "I can't seem to get anything done" and use their never-ending "To Do" lists as evidence for their negative self-evaluations. [this is totally me!] "To Do" lists usually contain things that you may not remember to do, and rarely encompass all of the things that you always remember and automatically take care of each day. Taking an occasional break from your "To Do" list can help you to relax and gain perspective. Practice acknowledging all of your important contributions that never actually make to a "To Do" list. (Julie de Azevedo Hanks, LCSW, founder and director of Wasatch Family Therapy)

She suggested that you make a "ta da list."

Try sitting down at the end of the day and listing everything you did that day. The most important things we do to care for ourselves and our relationships usually never make it on the "To Do" list!

I really liked this idea. So here is my "ta da list" for today!
  • exercised on the treadmill
  • snuggled Porter on the couch
  • took Porter to his Kindergarten assessment
  • cleaned my shower and bathtub (no small feat)
  • read my scriptures
  • went to Target to finish getting supplies for school
  • sent some emails
  • took Reagan to guitar lessons
  • helped Jake practice the piano
  • did a couple loads of laundry (but still have yet to fold and put away)
  • helped Jake with his homework
  • made a VT appointment
  • cleaned up doggie pee (am I STILL doing this???)
  • returned some phone calls
  • made a blog post!

So now I can look back on stuff I accomplished today and feel proud of what I was able to get done. No guilt here! (except that I didn't fix a real dinner for the kids)


4 comments:

Shauna said...

I LOVE THIS ... "ta da list"! I'm going to do this! What a great way to feel good about yourself!!!

Carin Davis said...

This is great!!!! Our days sound very similar! I think a "ta da" list would be positive for me too!

The Five Darrington's said...

Whoa Jenny! If I were you I would never feel guilty about anything! That would be a totally guilt free day to me!

The Five Darrington's said...

That was Drew who wrote that last comment.